Wednesday, November 5, 2014

IWSG DAY: Find the Magic

I look forward to the first Wednesday of each month because it's IWSG day. The purpose of IWSG is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! (And that would be ME!) IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh and has hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of members. You can be one too. You can follow other IWSG members or meet them on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG. We also have a thriving Facebook page. Look us over. I think you'll like us!

And speaking of offering assistance and guidance ... I’d like to share a book with you that’s helping me plot a new story. This author is one of my favorites. And she was my editor for The Last Daughter.


Award winning author and editor, Alicia Dean, shares her process of creating a story, along with bonus tips in her how to book, Find The Magic – How to Plot a Story in 10 Easy Steps. Through November 15th, it's on sale for only 99 cents.  I finished reading Find the Magic last week. What I liked best about the book was Alicia's honest voice. She made me trust her from page one. But why wouldn't I? I know that she knows what she's doing when it comes to writing, editing, critiquing and plotting.

Using specific examples from one of her own novels, Without Mercy (also 99 cents), Alicia shares how to plot a book and expand your outline into a well-developed draft. There is no one, perfect way to create a story, but there will be a method, or methods that work for you.
Find the Magic might hold the answers you need.

Kindle: http://amzn.com/B00OR0IY0W
Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/find-the-magic-how-to-plot-a-story-in-10-easy-steps-alicia-dean/1120638115?ean=2940150382169

  In addition to being an author of more than twenty published works, Alicia Dean is both a freelance editor and an editor for The Wild Rose Press, under the name, Ally Robertson, in their suspense line. I highly recommend you get too know Alicia through her books, or social media.

Alicia/Ally is one of the good guys and she knows what writing, publishing and marketing is all about.

Website: http://aliciadean.com/ Blog: http://aliciadean.com/alicias-blog/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008364070487 Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alicia_Dean_ Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/aliciamdean/ Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/468339.Alicia_Dean

23 comments:

Crystal Collier said...

Ah, plotting. You know, the more I write the more I believe every author develops their own plotting style. Some plot loosely, some have to know every single detail before starting a draft. It sounds like this book has some great tips about getting started.

Unleashing the Dreamworld

Jessica Ferguson said...

Yes, being an editor, Alicia knows that every author has her own way of plotting. Seeing how she's written so many books, just wanted to share her method. It might work for someone else.

Detailed Outlining works for me... But I keep looking for shortcuts!!

Unknown said...

Oh, that's interesting. 'Xcept I don't plot. Ever. My problem is that I really need to know my characters before I know what they end up doing and that's why I just write and rewrite and rewrite until the plot comes out. :-) We all have our process though and so long as a good story comes out we should all do what works best for us. :-)

Diane Burton said...

Ally was my editor, too (for One Red Shoe) and she really knows what she's talking about because she's also a great writer. I'm so glad you mentioned her book.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Great endorsement for that book. I'm glad it helped you. Keep on writing!
Play off the Page

Alicia Dean said...

Thank you so much, Jess. What a wonderful group this IWSG seems to be. I will definitely check them out. I appreciate you sharing my plotting book. Yes, definitely, different writers have different methods and each has to find their own. Some writers don't plot at all. :) This book might or might not help some, and even my own plotting system changes from time to time. I try to offer suggestions for making a story come together and some additional tips, even if the entire plotting process I use isn't for you.

Alicia Dean said...

Thank you for stopping by, Crystal. I hope that the book offers great tips about getting started. I agree, we each develop our own style. :)

Alicia Dean said...

E.E., I am so jealous of writers who don't have to plot. Even when I know my characters, I have to know what they're being threatened with before I can develop their story. I also get to know them better as the plot develops, because I'm able to see how they'll react to different obstacles. As I make very clear in the book, I'm plot driven rather than character driven, so my characters don't help me much with my stories. LOL. Thanks for stopping by!

Alicia Dean said...

Diane...thanks for the kind words. I love working with you, and as you know, I think you're a great writer as well!

Alicia Dean said...

I appreciate you stopping by, Mary!

Jessica Ferguson said...

Thanks for popping over everyone, and you too, Alicia. Loved the book and especially the extra in the back. I'm guilty of using ALL those unnecessary words. Wish I could set a ding on my laptop to signal when I type one. :)

Chrys Fey said...

Alicia Dean is awesome! I'm a Rose with The Wild Rose Press and I'm proud to say I know her. :) Thanks for sharing her book on plotting, Jess. I will definitely check it out. :)

Jessica Ferguson said...

Chrys, thanks! She is pretty awesome, isn't she? Since she's a fast writer, I loved learning her writing secrets. :)

Michelle Wallace said...

This sounds like a handy book! I need to add it to my TBR.
Thanks for introducing us to Alicia...some great endorsements from the authors above.

Alicia Dean said...

Aww, thanks, Chrys! I'm glad I know you too. I appreciate the kind words from you and Jess. You ladies rock! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review and the introduction to Alicia :) I try plotting but I end up stressing over the plot planning and not writing. I've gotten into the habit of doing a rough outline for each book and then writing through each outline point...and of course, those points are always free to shift, expand and change!

We all have our own unique process :D

Cheers!
Jen

Georgina Morales said...

Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing it =)

Shannon Lawrence said...

It never hurts to hear about different plotting styles!

Charles Gramlich said...

I've gotten better at plotting over the years but could still use help.

Alicia Dean said...

Thanks, all. I appreciate you stopping by. The method I propose in this book is a pretty loose outline. I don't like to get into a detailed outline where I spend a lot of time that I could use writing the actual story, you know? :) My writing time is precious, so I like to make the best use of it possible.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll go download it right now!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the info about Alicia! 99 cents is a great price! :)

Lucinda Whitney, Author said...

Plotting is very hard for me. But I made a simple outline for my rewrites and that helped a little.
lucindawhitney.com