Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for Organized

I'm blogging my way through the alphabet with many others participating in the 2014 A to Z Challenge. The A to Z Challenge is the brainchild of Arlee Bird at Tossing it Out. We post every day in April except Sundays.

I've made it all the way to the letter O. That makes me seem pretty Organized, doesn't it? I'm not. I'm choosing words as they come to me--sometimes the day or night before. Sometimes I can't think of anything and go to sleep tossing around in my head, only to get up the next morning and frantically write something.

I should be organized. Any one who salivates over pastel colored index cards, white binders and all notepads should definitely have the gift of organization. Unfortunately, a place for everything and everything in its place doesn't apply to my life. My filing system leaves much to be desired. Most of the time, I use the stacking system: stack it on the bookshelf, stack it on the file cabinet, stack it on the floor. Stack it on anything that's flat!

My file cabinets are full--all three of them. Don't ask me what they contain because I don't have a clue. I've been writing for 100 years. Okay, slight exaggeration, but I got my first file cabinet (a gift from my husband) 30+ years ago. I was so sure I would fill it with great research, manuscripts and book contracts. I can't remember where the second 4-drawer file cabinet came from, but a few years ago I happened upon the third one at a Goodwill Store. I was so excited you'd have thought I'd found a diamond ring in their basket of cheap costume jewelry.  It doesn't take much to thrill me--just mention office supplies and I twitch.

Our kids love to hear the story about how hubby and I left the Justice of the Peace and stopped by the nearest office supply store so I could pick up a few things. When asked what I want for Christmas, birthday, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, I ask for a gift certificate to Office Depot but it hasn't happened yet. Do they think I'm kidding?

I know I can be Organized. It takes effort. Sometimes I'm so organized I surprise myself so I know I have it in me. I meet all deadlines. I take responsibility seriously. When it comes to the really, really important things, I'm Organized. All I have to do is focus, make lists and check them twice. I have to devote time to planning.

Are you a born organizer? If it doesn't come naturally, how do you manage it? What keeps you on track?

Usually people who manage kids, a spouse and a job or pretty organized, aren't they? They live by a schedule. I have loosey-goosey days and my schedule changes daily. What should I do?

Happy Thursday! Happy O-day!
 

4 comments:

Rachna Chhabria said...

I am normally not very organized, sometimes I surprise myself with how organized I can be if I make an effort.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've got a couple of file cabinets too and they are pretty full. But these days I keep most of my records on computer so the cabinets kind of sit there unused.

CA Clark said...

Oh no I am dreadfully disorganised unless I work very hard at it. I have to plan to be organised and then actually do the work to make it happen.

It is coming slowly with practice.

http://ceciliaaclark.blogspot.com.au

Jessica Ferguson said...

Rachna, thanks for your comment. I surprise myself too. Sometimes!

Charles, I wish I could keep everything on the computer but I still depend on paper copies.

Cecilia - I agree that organization takes work.